Pools Spring Opening Instructions
The steps described below are intended to guide you through the process of opening a pool that has been properly closed and maintained during the winter. Always read and follow the product label directions.
- Remove any standing water from the pool cover.
- Clear any excess debris off the pool cover.
- Remove the cover.
- Clean the cover, allow to dry and sprinkle with talcum powder to prevent mold and mildew.
- Store cover in a cool dry place.
- Remove winter plugs from the skimmer and return lines.
- Add water to the pool until it reaches its normal level.
NOTE: If your pool was not winterized for freezing conditions, skip to step 12.
- Reinstall any pool equipment that was removed and stored for the winter.
- Reconnect all plumbing, including the filter and pump.
- Replace all drain plugs in the pool equipment.
- Discharge anti-freeze using the waste or backwash functions on the control valve.
- Prime the pump, then turn on the filtration and circulation equipment.
- Remove any large debris from the pool.
- Brush and vacuum the pool.
- Adjust the pH to 7.4-7.6 by adding ProTeam pH Down or Muratic Acid.
- Adjust the Total Alkalinity to 80-120 ppm, depending upon the type of primary sanitizer used. (80-100 ppm for sodium hypochlorite, calcium hypochlorite or lithium hypochlorite and 100-120 ppm for dechlor, trichlor and bromine tablets.)
- Add ___ pounds of ProTeam Quick Shock directly to the pool.
- Add ______ ounces of AlgaTec to the pool with the circulation system running.
**Wait 4 hours with the circulation running.
- Add _______ pounds of ProTeam Supreme to the pool with the circulation system running.
- Bring a water sample to Aquascape Pools for a free water analysis that includes tests for phosphates, metals, and proper conditioner level.